P.O. Box 695
Prescott, AZ 86302
Unless otherwise noted, programs are held at the LDS Church, 1001 Ruth Street, on the fourth Saturday of the month at 2 p.m. The doors open at 1:30 p.m. for social time. The LDS Church is handicap accessible.
2018 Program Schedule
You are cordially invited to attend the Northern Arizona Genealogical Society's (NAGS) monthly meeting at the Family History Center, 1001 Ruth Street. Doors will open at 1:30 pm with the meeting beginning at 2pm. Please park at the rear of the building and enter through the double doors in back. We will be meeting in Room 20. The meeting is free and open to the public.
27 January @ 2:00 p.m. - John Thorne, a member of NAGS, will relate the exciting history of the “The Boston Tea Party and The Last Surviving Member.” The Boston Tea Party of 16 December 1773, was a key event that lead to the American Revolutionary War. The "last surviving member" was David Kennison who allegedly died at the age of 115 in Chicago on 24 February 1852, having married 4 wives and fathered 22 children over his long life. After the Boston Tea Party, David participated in numerous battles during the Revolutionary War and later the War of 1812. He was granted a government pension for his military service. Ripley's Believe It or Not featured David Kennison in its 1976 bicentennial Book of Americana. His life is also documented in other more authoritative (historical) publications. David Kennison is the speaker's 4th great-grandfather, hence John Thorne is keenly interested in the Boston Tea Party and has done extensive genealogical research on this particular participant.
24 February @ 2:00 p.m. --- (under development)
24 March @ 2:00 p.m. --
28 April @ 2:00 p.m. --
26 May @ 2:00 p.m. --
23 June @ 2:00 p.m. --
25 August @ 2:00 p.m. --
22 September @ 2:00 p.m. --
27 October @ 2:00 p.m.
08 Jan 2018
Handouts from Previous Programs (listed alphabetically by subject)
05 Nov 2017
- Building Timelines by Sharon Atkins
- Cause of Death by Barbara Wich
- Civil War Photography by Brandelyn Andres (this is a Youtube presentation)
- Comparing Genealogy Software Programs: Legacy, Family Tree and Roots Maker by Katie Gertz
- DNA: Your Second Family Tree by Phyllis Lewellen
- Evidence! Making Your Case: Evaluating Family History Sources & Information by Barbara Wich
- How To Find Your Ancestors Civil War Records by Dick Hiatt
- Planning Your Genealogy Research Trip by Laurie McCoy
- Prescott Public Library Genealogy Resources by Normalene Zeeman
- The New Ancestry by Valene Woolridge
- Wiki Research by Dick Hiatt
05 Nov 2017